Departmental Activities 2014-15
Proposed Departmental Activities during the academic year 2014-15
- Submission of project proposals to the funding agencies.
- Conduction of National/International conferences
- Workshop for students
- Faculty Development programs
- Conduction of guest lectures
- Encouraging staff & students to publish research findings and to participate in conferences/workshops
- Conduction of State level inter-collegiate and inter- class competitions
- Parents meet
- Industrial visit
- Sports meet
- Cultural Fest(Biomic)
Other Activities- Seminars by students, Fresher’s Day, Ethnic Day, Farewell to seniors, Social Activities etc.
Conduction of Conference
One day conference on “Science for World Peace and Development” was jointly organized in association with KSTA on 5th March, 2014. Dr.VijayalakshmiBalekundri, Cardiologist, Sri. Jayadeva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences & Research, Bangalore, Dr.C.R.Sathya, Formerly Group Director, Composites, ISRO, Dr.R.UmaShaanker, Prof. UAS, GKVK, Bangalore and Dr.K.R.Sooryanarayana, Scientist, Central Ground Water Board delivered lectures on areas of Health Care, Agriculture, Material Sciences, and Ground water.
Workshop for College teachers on “DNA Finger Printing Technology, Molecular Markers and Bioinformatics” was conducted on 28th February 2014 and 1st March 2014 to gain hands-on experience on recent techniques in the concerned areas.
Workshop for Students
Two Days Workshop for students on “Recent Techniques in Molecular Biology and Immunology” was conducted on 7th & 8th March 2013 in association with Azyme Biosciences Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore. Twenty students took part in the workshop to gain hands -on practical experience on recent techniques.
- Aristogene Biosciences Pvt.Ltd., Bangalore
- Enzyme Biosciences Pvt.Ltd., Bangalore
- Azyme Biosciences Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
- Robust Centre for chemical & Biological Technology, Bangalore
Conduction of Guest Lectures
Dr. Nataraja, Associate Prof, Dept. of Crop Physiology, GKVK, University of Agricultural Sciences delivered a lecture on “Genetic Modifications in Crop Plants” on 2nd April 2013. Mr. H. V.Praveen Kumar, Central Excise Dept, Bangalore gave a talk on “Photography and conservation of wild life” On 28th March 2013.
Dr.Vinod J. Lakkappan, Scientific officer, DNA Centre, Madivala, and Dr.YoganandaMoolemath , Lead Scientist, Connexios Life Sciences , Bangalore delivered lectures on “DNA Finger Printing Technology and its applications” and “Biomarkers” respectively.
- Participation of Teachers in Conferences Workshop/Faculty Development Program.
Faculty Development Programms:
- Ten Teachers in 3 batches attended Faculty Development Programme held at Oxford College, B’lore from 9th Jan. to 8th Feb. 2013.
- Dr.AsheeraBanuSangli attended 2 days workshop on “Revised Curriculum of VI semB.Scpracticals in Zoology” held at Vijaya College, Basavanagudi, B’lore on 1st & 2nd Feb. 2013.
National & International Conference:
- Dr.Krishne Gowda, Director and Dr.Venkatesha.R.T.attended Bangalore Bio 2012 held at Hotel Lalith Ashok, B’lore from 4th to 6th Feb 2013.
- Dr. John Barnabas, Asst. Prof. of Microbiology attended two days National Seminar on 13th & 14th March 2013 organized by Dept. of BT & MB, Bangalore University, and Bangalore.
- Dr.Kurinji.V. HOD of Biotechnology attended National Conference held at Annamalai University, Chidambaram on 27th & 28th July 2012.
- Conduction of State Level Inter-collegiate and Inter-Class Competitions
- State level Essay writing and Science quiz competitions were held on 4th March 2014. More than 150 students from different colleges across the state participated in the event. Interclass competitions - Collage, Model Making, Mehandi, Face painting, Pencil Sketch, and Rangoli were held on 25th March, 2014. Cooking without flame (Food Fest) was organized at C.D. Sagar Food Court on 27th March, 2014
Participation in inter-collegiate events
- Some of the students took part in Inter –collegiate events like scientific model making, Science Quiz, Essay writing etc., held at Oxford College, AMC college and SSMRV College. Some of them won the prizes.
- Sports events such as cricket, running race, and throw ball were conducted for both teachers and the students. The winners and participants were given away the prizes and certificates on the day of Biomic
- Final semester students visited “Heritage wine” industry to study the types of fermenters and manufacture of grape wine on a large scale
- Parents meet was organized on 4th April 2014 to bring a close proximity between the faculty and the parents towards academic improvement issues like attitudinal development, punctuality, attendance status etc.
- Biomic, an association of young biologists of DayanandaSagar college of Biological Sciences conducted the annual cultural fest, Biofest-2014 “TARANG” on 11th April 2014.
- Mr. Marc Zubair, noted Mimic Artist and Mr. SheshankSheshagiri, play back singer and actor were the chief guests.
- CLONE-14, an annual cultural magazine consisting of collection of article from the faculty and students of DSCBS was released on this occasion. Sri.Galiswamy, Secretary, DSI presided over the function.
- Students actively took part in the cultural events and exhibited their latent talents. The prizes to the winners and certificates to all the participants were given away by the Guests of honour, Secretary, Principal & Director.
Community Welfare Programs
Workshop for students & Teachers
Inter-class & Inter-collegiate events
State level Essay writing and Science quiz competitions were held on 4th March 2014. More than 150 students from different colleges across the state participated in the event.
Interclass competitions - Collage, Model Making, Mehandi, Face painting, Pencil Sketch, and Rangoli were held on 25th March, 2014.
Cooking without flame (Food Fest) was organized at C.D. Sagar Food Court on 27th March, 2014.
Sports events such as cricket, running race, and throw ball were conducted for both teachers and the students. The winners and participants were given away the prizes and certificates on the day of Biomic.
Workshops / Seminars
Two Days Workshop for students on “Recent Techniques in Molecular Biology and Immunology” was conducted on 7th & 8th March 2013 in association with Azyme Biosciences Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore. Twenty students took part in the workshop to gain hands - on practical experience on recent techniques.