Pharmacognosy predominantly entails ‘crude drugs’ of natural origin that are duly derived from plant, animal, mineral sources and their active chemical constituents that essentially attribute to the core subject matter of pharmacognosy. The critical usage and application of the processed and refined ‘crude drugs’ are not only confined to the therapeutic utilities of various human diseases, but also being utilized generously in cosmetics, textiles, food and nutraceutical industries spread across the globe.
Mother Nature has gifted the inhabitants of earth with vast and never ending resources of medicinal flora and fauna and therefore there lies an enormous opportunity for younger forthcoming generations of pharmacognosists and phytochemists to explore meticulously the ‘wonder-drug molecules’ from the unexploited wealth of nature.
The Department of Pharmacognosy at DSI is actively involved in the following activities:
- Maintaining the herbal garden which has variety of medicinal plants
- Isolation and characterization of chemical constituents such as flavonoids, tannins, essential oils, cardiac glycosides etc. from various medicinal plants.
- Evaluation of pharmacological activity such as anti-inflammatory, antioxidant activity, hepatoprotective activity, antidiabetic activity, wound healing activity, antimicrobial studies etc.
- Developing a topical herbal formulation
- Developing herbal Nutraceutical preparations